Daffodils 4mp1st March, 2019

There's been a definite whiff of spring this week: sunshine, daffodils and the Postie's back in shorts. Did you know though, that daffodils can be toxic to dogs and cats?  

 Any part of the plant can potentially cause problems, but the highest concentration of toxins is in the bulb. Fortunately, severe poisoning is rare, most cases only suffer from gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhoea. 

Other symptoms may include:

  • drooling
  • nausea
  • abdominal pain
  • increased heart rate
  • abnormal breathing
  • lethargy
  • high temperature
  • inflamed skin

Poisonings as a result of exposure to plants are relatively common in dogs and cats. Other common culprits are: oleander, poinsettia, azalea, rhodedendron, tulips, hyacinths, lillies, cyclamen and dieffenbachia.

If you suspect that your pet may have eaten something poisenous, please contact your vet as soon as possible for treatment advice. 

So, enjoy the early spring but just make sure to keep an eye on what your furry friends are eating or playing with at the same time.